Saturday, November 22, 2008

Personal Technology in the Classroom

The main reason I don't consider the use of personal technology in the classroom is because of availability. Not all students have a cell phone, or a game system. I think of technology the school would provide when considering how technology can be integrated into the classroom. That is not to say that personal technology can't be used or be useful. Perhaps as an incentive, to students who complete their work early. Perhaps as a tool, maybe the Wii has some games that would help a kinetic learner. A new version of the telephone game (for social studies, to show how a rumor changes as it is passed from person to person) would use texting. Truthfully, I am not savvy to any of these technologies. I have never used this "texting technology." My cell phone is just a phone to me. I'm starting to learn how to use the calendar, but still keep a written calendar because I need to see all the squares and their details. However I've learned that the cell phone has little alarms and noises that go off when it's time to leave, so I use it for that. There is no video gaming system in my house. Maybe I'm just too old to have thought of integrating personal technology into the curriculum. However, I think that as it is applied, more ideas will branch off from that, maybe even an old fogey like myself will add an idea or two to the mix!

No comments: